Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Fires and Parties

Today has been eventful in little Hermanus. I headed off to town to do some shopping, drove into the Pick n Pay parking and then drove straight out again as the wind was impossible. I think it might have carried poor Aimee right away. On the way home, I saw smoke coming thickly out of Northcliff area- later, Dirk phoned to say a fire had already gutted one house and was moving on swiftly. I've just watched the news and see that about six houses have been burned, some almost completely destroyed. It's still blowing guns out there.

If I ever suspected that South Africa was a first world country, my delusions are now fully over. We had another power failure today (load shedding, as they call it), and we expect them to happen every few days now: indefinitely. I must just remember to get the car out the garage early if I need to go somewhere as I can't open it without the remote.

On a brighter note, we had Daniel's fifth birthday party yesterday. And (yay!) the weather was sunny and the wind had not yet come. They all seemed to have a good time, ate lots of goodies and ran around. That's what parties are for, right? Tomorrow is his actual birthday and Dirk has promised to make Daniel eggs and bacon for breakfast.



Tomorrow is the first day of school. I just hope Daniel has a teacher for his class. All sorts of rumours are going around, and Bosko is still having its teacher crisis. What to do?

If I think back on the holiday, I think one of the precious little moments was when Ben (my nephew) took to calling me "Jeannie Bean". Sounds better than "Auntie Jeannie", or worse, "Tannie".

2 comments:

KJ-Starre said...

Boy! the fires sound hideous....Tersh said there is talk of arson????? That is seriously YUKKIE!!! I hope the catch them!

We too are getting power failures...bloody bums! They don't even warn us anymore......oh Canada!!! hahahahahah!

D's cake is SUPER what a good idea, did you make it yourself? I am verrry impressed! Looks like everyone had fun! Enjoy your eggs xxx

croc-around-the-cloc said...

Hi Jeannie from a cold and wet UK, its Kim's mum calling, love your blog read it everyday after KJ-Starre, hmmmm, wind sounds great about now, you can have our rain, rain and more rain....but still we like it up here in the grey clouds, instead of down there is the grey smoke......