Friday, January 4, 2008

Can't Beat Auntie Fran

I’m sitting here at 11:00 p.m. on New Year’s Eve, with a dog freaked-out by fireworks and a little girl who is still upset about being left behind by Daddy because she’s sick. Her sleep talking is a continuation of the inconsolable distress caused by Dirk and Daniel going off to a party with the church while she has to stay home with me because she’s been vomiting all day. “I’m not sick anymore, Mommy!” My New Year’s Eve celebrations have deteriorated every year. But then again, what can beat Auntie Fran running around the block in her nightie, banging pans (some time in the ’80’s)?

Our time in Knysna with Si and her family at Mom’s and Piet’s place was wonderful. I’m still feeling the post-holiday blues.

ferry.jpg

We started Christmas well with a little Christmas Eve carol concert performed by the kids with Piet on piano. At 5:30 a.m the next day, Daniel woke me up saying that Father Christmas had come and had had his beer and cookies. He had to wait an hour or two longer before he could open the presents. He did remark, though, that Father Christmas has the same wrapping paper that we do. Considering some of it was paper he had painted at school, I’m not surprised by the confusion. The next day, he came right out and asked me if Father Christmas was real, so I had to confess. The story does tend to get ever more complicted as we try to explain away the oddities to pre-schoolers.

piano.jpg

aimeebox.jpg

pegpiet.jpg

sigav.jpg

tradesman.jpg

Other than the incident with the Junior Tradesman house and the fight over the cracker toys, we had a great time on Christmas day, and of course, over indulged on the food.

My birthday yesterday turned out to be a lovely day. We had lunch with Cape Town friends, Lood and Marlene and their kids at The Art Cafe in Stanford. We had to drive from one place to the other before finding one that wasn’t booked out, but ended up at a good spot. It’s always good to connect with friends whom you haven’t seen in a while.

Well, just about half an hour until 2008. What a thought. I’m looking forward to this year and hope I don’t let it fly by in menial day-to-day tasks - without living courageously.

dirkjeannie.jpg

2 comments:

A glimpse of Mel said...

hullo devyncks - great to find you on blogger! I have been on since June-ish and its been such a cool way to keep up to speed with friends and family. Will be back. Hope you update again soon, and happy birthday for like, a week ago!

KJ-Starre said...

Hey J, did you get my page long comment the other day?
I missed your skype call...sorry, I have not been at my laptop much this weekend. To answer you....Yip we are! Do you have any leads for T?

XX